Press Information Notice

​09 May 2018

 
 

The National Statistics Office has launched the results garnered from the Adult Education Survey 2016. Complementing these results are the findings from the Continuing Vocational Training Survey 2015 that were published recently. Both surveys are conducted every five years as per EU regulation.

Adult Education Survey 2016

The Adult Education Survey looks into the uptake of formal, non-formal and informal education and training activities, whether academic or vocational.

Collecting information among adults aged 25-64 and living in private households, the survey had an estimated population of 236,210 persons spread throughout Malta and Gozo. An estimated 19.3 per cent of these actively sought information about education and training possibilities.

A total of 99,178 of the respondents were engaged in some kind of informal education. The majority of these (54.7 per cent) preferred to engage in learning activities through the use of a computer (both online and offline resources), while the least preferred option was through learning centres (such as libraries). This method was sought by 19,559 persons (19.7 per cent).

The number of persons in non-formal education amounted to 79,797. Such education was obtained through courses (62.3 per cent), workshops (36.3 per cent) and on-the-job guided training (23.6 per cent). Private tuition was the least preferred method for such education, and only 7.9 per cent of the participants sought such method.

During 2016, a total of 16,994 persons undertook some form of formal education. The majority of these (92.3 per cent) sought to increase skills/knowledge in a subject of interest, 91.7 per cent sought to obtain a certificate, while 86.4 per cent stated that they wanted to improve their career prospects. The aim of improving the possibility of getting or changing a job was the reason behind 63.4 per cent of those undertaking such education.

Among the outcomes of formal education, 69.9 per cent of those in such activity stated that they performed better in their job while 46.8 per cent maintained that they were promoted at their workplace.

Continuous Vocational Training Survey 2015

The Continuous Vocational Training (CVT) Survey sheds light on vocational training patterns, investment in training and other general information obtained from enterprises.

Collecting data from organisations that employ 10 or more employees this survey has an estimated population of 1,926 enterprises.

Findings indicate that during 2015 a total of 38,998 employees followed at least one CVT course.

While 61.6 per cent of the surveyed enterprises provided some form of CVT course, the remaining 38.4 per cent did not provide any form of training to their employees. Furthermore, surveyed enterprises employing 10-49 employees did not provide CVT courses.

Of the 739 enterprises that did not provide CVT courses or any other form of courses, 76.5 per cent indicated that the primary reason for not doing so was that the existing qualifications, skills and competences were in line with the needs of the enterprise at the time.