The Short-Term Business Statistics unit (STS) covers four domains/Annexes: industry (A), construction (B), retail trade (C) and services (D). Data is collected through monthly/quarterly surveys (Council Regulation 1165/98
of 19 May 1998 and Regulation 1158/2005
) to produce 76 Eurostat transmissions and 32 local news releases with a monthly or quarterly frequency per year.
USE OF STS INDICATORS
- Track business cycle of an economy in the shortest possible timeframe.
- Formulate and monitor economic and monetary policies.
OTHER CONCEPTS RELATED TO THE STS UNIT:
- Principal European Economic Indicators: IIP; PPIs; Construction and WRT.
- Special Data Dissemination Standard (SDDS) – PPIs and IIP form part of the SDDS group.
- Seasonal and Working Day Adjustments – are conducted for certain indicators, namely, manufacturing, wholesale and retail trade, are services.
- Services Producer Price Index (SPPI) – new project in the pipeline