The regional demographic statistics for Malta provides annual data on population, vital events (live births and deaths) and marriages at NUTS3 (LAU 1) level. The completeness of the tables depends on the availability of data received from the responsible Public Authorities in Malta and Gozo. This information is also compiled basing on a harmonised methodology also stipulated by European Regulation (EC) No. 1260/2013. The following information is produced by the National Statistics Office (NSO) and published on an annual basis. Some of this data is also transmitted to Eurostat.
For reference year T, at NUTS3 level, NSO compiles:
• Total population by sex at 30th June: year T
• Total population by age, sex and district at 31st December: year T
• Maltese population by sex at 30th June: year T
• Maltese population by sex at 31st December: year T
• Number and rate of total usual resident live births by residence of parents: year T
• Number and rate of Maltese usual resident live births by residence of parents: year T
• Deaths and crude death rate by sex occurring during year T
• Marriages and rate of marriages occurring during year T
Tables are compiled mainly during July of year T+1.
Demographic indicators at regional level computed by this Office includes:
• average population as at 30th June;
• crude birth rate;
• crude death rate.
At national level a larger number of demographic indicators are computed. These include:
• population density
• demographic balance and crude rates (population change, natural change, net migration, crude birth rate, crude death rate, crude marriage rate);
• mean age at childbearing;
• total fertility rates;
• life tables and life expectancy;
• neonatal deaths and crude rate of neonatal deaths;
• infant mortality and crude rate of infant mortality;
• mean age at marriage.