News Releases

Registered Unemployment: April 2024
NR 096/2024
Release Date: 24 May 2024
In April 2024, the number of persons registering for work stood at 1,202, increasing by 236 persons when compared to the corresponding month in 2023.

Registered Unemployment: April 2023

Data provided by Jobsplus for April 2024 indicate a year-on-year increase of 203 and 33 persons registering under Part I and under Part II of the unemployment register, respectively (Tables 5 and 8). Increases in the registered unemployment levels were recorded in the majority of the age groups (Table 1). Males accounted for 68.8 per cent of total registrants while females accounted for the remaining 31.2 per cent (Table 1).

Year-on-year increases of 224 persons and 18 persons was recorded among those registering for work for under 21 weeks and for 21 to 52 weeks, respectively. On the other hand, the number of persons registering for work for over one year decreased by six (Table 2).

In April 2024, the number of persons with a disability who were registering for work increased by 12 when compared to the previous year, reaching 245 persons. Males accounted for 80.0 per cent of total registrants with a disability (Table 3).  

The largest shares of persons, both for males and females, on the unemployment register sought occupations as Clerical support workers, with the respective proportions standing at 24.3 per cent and 36.0 per cent (Table 4).

Chart 1. Registered unemployment

No Data Found

Tables

Methodological Notes

1. This news release provides data on the number of persons registering for work with Jobsplus.

The National Statistics Office (NSO) publishes another set of statistics regarding unemployment based on the Labour Force Survey (LFS) on a quarterly basis. When compiling LFS statistics, the NSO adopts the International Labour Organisation (ILO) definition, an internationally agreed definition on unemployment. This definition has also been adopted by Eurostat and is used by all EU Member States. More details regarding the methodology used for the compilation of unemployment statistics from the LFS may be found in quarterly LFS news releases.

Since Jobsplus records and LFS results measure two different facets of unemployment, the resulting figures are not comparable. Users are therefore cautioned that these two sets of statistics should not be used interchangeably.

2. As from the release published on 23 February 2016, annual average results are being worked out using a custom-made application which takes into consideration more data points to work out the mean for the year. This approach may give rise to differences resulting from rounding.

3. In April 2019, the NSO introduced a new set of EU-harmonised indicators on monthly unemployment based on the European Labour Force Survey (EC 577/1998).

4. The monthly unemployment rates from December 2022 do not feature in this release since administrative data on the labour supply from this month onwards are not yet available.

5. ISCO 08 is being used to classify occupations sought by the registered unemployed. For more information, check the Structure of the International Standard Classification of Occupations (ISCO-08).
 

6. Definitions:

Registered unemployment rate: refers to the number of registered unemployed persons, both under Part I and Part II, as a percentage of the sum of the full-time registered employed and the total registered unemployed.

In computing the registered unemployment rates for the purpose of this release, only the full-time registered employed is taken into consideration. Persons employed on a part-time basis are not taken into account in this computation.

Registered unemployment rates are not comparable with LFS unemployment rates due to different sources of data collection. While LFS rates are based on sample survey estimates, registered unemployment rates are based on Jobsplus data (registered unemployment data and registered full-time employed).

Long-term registered unemployment rate: refers to those people who have been registering for work for more than twelve months. The long-term unemployment rate is calculated by working out the number of the long-term unemployed under Part I as a percentage of the labour force.

Part I of the unemployment register: those registering under Part I are either new job seekers who have left school, re-entrants into the labour market or individuals who have been made redundant by their former employers.

Part II of the unemployment register: those registering under Part II are either workers who have been dismissed from work due to disciplinary actions, left work out of their own free will, refused work or training opportunities or were struck off the register after an inspection by Law Enforcement personnel.

The Labour Supply/Labour Force: for the purpose of this release, the labour supply is the sum of the registered unemployed and the full-time gainfully occupied population (excluding part-time employment).

7. The data on unemployment levels is final and not normally subject to revision.

8. More information relating to this news release may be accessed at:                                         

Statistical Concepts
Classification 

9. A detailed news release calendar is available online.

10. References to this news release are to be cited appropriately. For guidance on access and re-use of data please visit our dedicated webpage.  
 
11. For further assistance send your request through our online request form.
Registered Unemployment: April 2024
NR 096/2024
Release Date: 24 May 2024
Registered Unemployment: April 2023
  • The number of registered unemployed in April 2024 increased by 236 persons over April 2023 levels.
  • Males accounted for 68.8 per cent or 827 of total registrants while females accounted for the remaining 31.2 per cent or 375 registrants.
  • Increases in the registered unemployment levels were recorded in the majority of the age groups.
  • The number of persons with a disability registering for work increased by 12 persons over the same period in 2023.
  • Clerical support jobs were the most common occupations sought by the registered unemployed.
Inflation Calculator News releases calendar Request for Information NACE Code queries
Skip to content