Data provided by Jobsplus for February 2023 indicate a year-on-year decrease of 52 persons registering under Part I, and an additional drop of 32 persons registering under Part II of the unemployment register (Tables 5 and 8). All age groups experienced a decrease in registered unemployment levels, except for those aged 30 to 44. Males accounted for 69.1 per cent of total registrants while females accounted for the remaining 30.9 per cent (Table 1).
Persons who had been registering for work for less than 21 weeks and those who had been registering for work for over 1 year decreased when compared to the same month in 2022. On the other hand, persons who have been registering for work between 21 to 52 weeks increased when compared with the same month of the previous year (Table 2).
In February 2023, the number of persons with a disability who were registering for work decreased by 23 when compared to the previous year, reaching 233 persons. Males accounted for 76.8 per cent of total registrants with a disability (Table 3).
The largest share of males and females on the unemployment register sought occupations as Clerical support workers, with 21.1 per cent and 41.3 per cent respectively (Table 4).
No Data Found
1. This news release provides data on the number of persons registering for work with Jobsplus.
The National Statistics Office publishes another set of statistics regarding unemployment based on the Labour Force Survey (LFS) on a quarterly basis. When compiling LFS statistics, the NSO adopts the International Labour Organisation (ILO) definition, an internationally agreed definition on unemployment. This definition has also been adopted by Eurostat and is used by all EU Member States. More details regarding the methodology used for the compilation of unemployment statistics from the LFS may be found in quarterly LFS news releases.
Since Jobsplus records and LFS results measure two different facets of unemployment, the resulting figures are not comparable. Users are therefore cautioned that these two sets of statistics should not be used interchangeably.
2. As from the release published on 23 February 2016, annual average results are being worked out using a custom-made application which takes into consideration more data points to work out the mean for the year. This approach may give rise to differences resulting from rounding.
3. In April 2019, the NSO introduced a new set of EU-harmonised indicators on monthly unemployment based on the European Labour Force Survey (EC 577/1998).
4. The monthly unemployment rates from November 2022 do not feature in this release since administrative data on the labour supply from this month onwards are not yet available.
• Registered unemployment rate: refers to the number of registered unemployed persons, both under Part I and Part II, as a percentage of the sum of the full-time gainfully occupied population and the total registered unemployed.
In computing the registered unemployment rates for the purpose of this release, only the full-time gainfully occupied population is taken into consideration. Persons employed on a part-time basis are not taken into account in this computation.
Registered unemployment rates are not comparable with LFS unemployment rates due to different sources of data collection. While LFS rates are based on sample survey estimates, registered unemployment rates are based on Jobsplus data (registered unemployment data and registered full-time gainfully occupied).
• Long-term registered unemployment rate: refers to those people who have been registering for work for more than twelve months. The long-term unemployment rate is calculated by working out the number of the long-term unemployed under Part I as a percentage of the labour force.
• Part I of the unemployment register: those registering under Part I are either new job seekers who have left school, re-entrants into the labour market or individuals who have been made redundant by their former employers.
• Part II of the unemployment register: those registering under Part II are either workers who have been dismissed from work due to disciplinary actions, left work out of their own free will, refused work or training opportunities or were struck off the register after an inspection by Law Enforcement personnel.
• The Labour Supply/Labour Force: for the purpose of this release, the labour supply is the sum of the registered unemployed and the full-time gainfully occupied population (excluding part-time employment).
7. The data on unemployment levels is final and not normally subject to revision.
8. More information relating to this news release may be accessed at:
9. References to this News Release are to be cited appropriately.
10. Statistics in this News Release should be interpreted in context of the COVID-19 situation.
11. A detailed news release calendar is available online.