Fl-ewwel kwart tal-2023, il-biċċa l-kbira taʼ dawn l-iljieli kienu mgħoddijin fʼlukandi taʼ erbaʼ stilel bʼ48.4 fil-mija tal-għadd sħiħ (Tabelli nri 1 u 2).
Meta mqabbel mal-istess perjodu taʼ sena qabel, it-tul medju ta’ dawn iż-żjajjar fl-istabbilimenti taʼ akkomodazzjoni kollettiva baqaʼ 4.1 iljieli. L-użu nett taʼ sodod kien taʼ 45.3 fil-mija, żieda taʼ 16.0-il punt perċentwali meta mqabbel mal-istess perjodu fl-2022 (Tabella nru 3).
FʼMarzu li għadda, fʼpajjiżna kien hawn 257 stabbiliment taʼ akkomodazzjoni kollettiva li bejniethom kellhom 18,114 kamra tas-sodda u 41,355 sodda (Tabella nru 4).
Fl-ewwel tliet xhur tal-2023, l-għadd sħiħ taʼ persuni li qattgħu xi ljieli fi stabbiliment taʼ akkomodazzjoni kollettiva fʼMalta kien taʼ 393,810, filwaqt li l-iljieli mqattgħin kienu jgħoddu l-1,626,829. L-għadd sħiħ taʼ persuni li qattgħu xi ljieli fi stabbiliment taʼ akkomodazzjoni kollettiva fʼGħawdex u Kemmuna u l-għadd taʼ ljieli mqattgħin hemm telgħu għal 15,179 u 32,672, rispettivament, mit-12,548 u s-27,678 li kienu rreġistrati fl-2022 (Tabelli nri 1 u 2).
Meta mqabbel mal-istess perjodu tas-sena taʼ qabel, it-tul medju taż-żjajjar fʼMalta niżel bʼ0.1 taʼ lejl u kien 4.1 iljieli. FʼGħawdex u Kemmuna, it-tul medju taż-żjajjar baqaʼ 2.2 iljieli. FʼMalta, l-użu nett taʼ sodod żdied bʼ16.6 punt perċentwali sabiex laħħaq is-46.3 fil-mija, filwaqt li dak fʼGħawdex u Kemmuna żdied bʼ1.9 punti perċentwali u laħħaq it-22.0 fil-mija (Tabella nru 3).
No Data Found
1. The objective of the Survey on Collective Accommodation Establishments is to estimate the utilisation rate of bed-places of all active collective accommodation establishments in Malta and Gozo. The variables collected from the survey include:
● Number of residents;
● Number of non-residents;
● Nights spent by residents;
● Nights spent by non-residents;
● Number of room nights sold to non-residents;
● Number of room nights sold to residents;
● Number of bedrooms;
● Number of bed-places;
● Number of days the establishment was closed during the month under review.
The collection of the above variables and the calculation of occupancy levels are in line with Regulation (EU) No. 692/2011.
2. The survey is distributed monthly to all collective accommodation establishments, namely hotels, guesthouses, hostels and tourist villages.
3. Response rates:
4. In this release, figures for October-December 2022 should be considered as a second estimate while those relating to January-March 2023 are a first estimate, therefore subject to revision in the ensuing release.
5. The Malta Tourism Authority (MTA) classification of all accommodation categories are found in Legal Notice 351 of 2012
6. Users are advised that comparisons between non-resident arrivals recorded in the Inbound Tourism survey (Tourstat, demand-side) and the Collective Accommodation survey (Accomstat, supply-side), should be undertaken in the knowledge that discrepancies will be found. These are mainly due to differences in definitions and methodologies. For more details, one can consult Concept 15.4 of the NSO’s metadata file.
● Bedroom: a unit formed by one room or group of rooms constituting an indivisible rental whole in an accommodation establishment or dwelling.
● Bed-place: in an establishment, this is determined by the number of persons who can stay overnight in the establishment, not taking into account any extra beds that may be provided to clients on request.
● Residents: Maltese/Gozitan residents who check into/out of a collective accommodation establishment. A person is considered to be a Maltese/Gozitan resident if:
(a) S/he has lived for most of the past 12 months in Malta/Gozo;
(b) S/he has lived in Malta/Gozo for less than 12 months but intends to return within a year to settle here.
● Non-residents: foreigners who do not necessarily follow the definition of a tourist and check into/out of a collective accommodation establishment.
● Total guests: the total number of residents and non-residents.
● Total nights spent: the total number of nights which guests actually spend or are registered to spend in a collective accommodation establishment.
● Net use of bed-places: the net occupancy rate calculated for all active accommodation establishments, net of seasonal closures and other temporary closures. The occupancy of bed-places is calculated by dividing the total nights during the reference period by the number of bed-places and the number of days when the bed-places are actually available for use during the reference period. The result is then multiplied by 100 to express the occupancy rate as a percentage.
● Average length of stay: this is calculated as follows:
● Tourist: a visitor who stays at least one night in collective or private accommodation in the place/country visited.
8. Collective Accommodation Establishment data for 2019 has been included in this release for easier comparison with the pre-COVID-19 situation.
9. More information relating to this news release may be accessed at:
Sources and Methods
10. References to this news release are to be cited appropriately.
11. A detailed news release calendar is available online.
12. For further assistance, please submit your query through our online request form.