Data provided by Jobsplus for January 2023 indicate a year-on-year decrease of 25 persons registering under Part I, and an additional drop of 20 persons registering under Part II of the unemployment register (Tables 5 and 8). All age groups experienced a decrease in registered unemployment levels, except for those under 20 years of age. Males accounted for 69.3 per cent of total registrants while females accounted for the remaining 30.7 per cent (Table 1).
Persons who had been registering for work for less than 21 weeks and those who had been registering between 21 and 52 weeks increased when compared to the same month in 2022. On the other hand, persons who have been registering for work for more than one year decreased when compared with the same month of the previous year (Table 2).
In January 2023, the number of persons with a disability who were registering for work decreased by 17 when compared to the previous year, reaching 236 persons. Males accounted for 76.3 per cent of total registrants with a disability (Table 3).
The largest share of males and females on the unemployment register sought occupations as Clerical support workers, with 22.9 per cent and 41.9 per cent respectively (Table 4).
No Data Found
Note: Data for reference years 2013-2022 is on an annual basis; data for reference year 2023 is for January.
• Registered unemployment rate: refers to the number of registered unemployed persons, both under Part I and Part II, as a percentage of the sum of the full-time gainfully occupied population and the total registered unemployed.
In computing the registered unemployment rates for the purpose of this release, only the full-time gainfully occupied population is taken into consideration. Persons employed on a part-time basis are not taken into account in this computation.
Registered unemployment rates are not comparable with LFS unemployment rates due to different sources of data collection. While LFS rates are based on sample survey estimates, registered unemployment rates are based on Jobsplus data (registered unemployment data and registered full-time gainfully occupied).
• Long-term registered unemployment rate: refers to those people who have been registering for work for more than twelve months. The long-term unemployment rate is calculated by working out the number of the long-term unemployed under Part I as a percentage of the labour force.
• Part I of the unemployment register: those registering under Part I are either new job seekers who have left school, re-entrants into the labour market or individuals who have been made redundant by their former employers.
• The Labour Supply/Labour Force: for the purpose of this release, the labour supply is the sum of the registered unemployed and the full-time gainfully occupied population (excluding part-time employment).Part II of the unemployment register: those registering under Part II are either workers who have been dismissed from work due to disciplinary actions, left work out of their own free will, refused work or training opportunities or were struck off the register after an inspection by Law Enforcement personnel.
7. The data on unemployment levels is final and not normally subject to revision.
8. More information relating to this news release may be accessed at:
9. References to this News Release are to be cited appropriately.
10. Statistics in this News Release should be interpreted in context of the COVID-19 situation.
11. A detailed news release calendar is available online.