Data provided by Jobsplus for December 2022 indicate a year-on-year decrease of 98 persons registering under Part I, and an additional drop of 23 persons registering under Part II of the unemployment register (Tables 5 and 8). Registered unemployment levels decreased across all age groups; with the exception of the 25 to 29 years age bracket. Males accounted for 68.5 per cent of total registrants while females accounted for the remaining 31.5 per cent (Table 1).
Persons who had been registering for work for less than 21 weeks and those who had been registering for more than one year decreased when compared to the same month in 2021. On the other hand, persons who have been registering for work between 21 and 52 weeks increased when compared with the same month of the previous year (Table 2).
In December 2022, the number of persons with a disability who were registering for work decreased by 27 when compared to the previous year, reaching 228 persons. Males accounted for 76.8 per cent of total registrants with a disability (Table 3).
The largest share of males and females on the unemployment register sought occupations as Clerical support workers, with 22.1 per cent and 42.7 per cent respectively (Table 4).
No Data Found
• Registered unemployment rate: refers to the number of registered unemployed persons, both under Part I and Part II, as a percentage of the sum of the full-time gainfully occupied population and the total registered unemployed.
In computing the registered unemployment rates for the purpose of this release, only the full-time gainfully occupied population is taken into consideration. Persons employed on a part-time basis are not taken into account in this computation.
Registered unemployment rates are not comparable with LFS unemployment rates due to different sources of data collection. While LFS rates are based on sample survey estimates, registered unemployment rates are based on Jobsplus data (registered unemployment data and registered full-time gainfully occupied).
• Long-term registered unemployment rate: refers to those people who have been registering for work for more than twelve months. The long-term unemployment rate is calculated by working out the number of the long-term unemployed under Part I as a percentage of the labour force.
• Part I of the unemployment register: those registering under Part I are either new job seekers who have left school, re-entrants into the labour market or individuals who have been made redundant by their former employers.
• The Labour Supply/Labour Force: for the purpose of this release, the labour supply is the sum of the registered unemployed and the full-time gainfully occupied population (excluding part-time employment).Part II of the unemployment register: those registering under Part II are either workers who have been dismissed from work due to disciplinary actions, left work out of their own free will, refused work or training opportunities or were struck off the register after an inspection by Law Enforcement personnel.
7. The data on unemployment levels is final and not normally subject to revision.
8. More information relating to this news release may be accessed at:
9. References to this News Release are to be cited appropriately.
10. Statistics in this News Release should be interpreted in context of the COVID-19 situation.
11. A detailed news release calendar is available online.